Community

My IVF cycle was interrupted by Covid_19…But I still have hope.

By Anonymous | May 5, 2020

I don’t know when I will ever be able to have a baby. My husband and I had been trying…

Yom Haatzmaut 2020

By Shira Lankin Sheps | April 29, 2020

This moment is like thousands of moments we’ve had before.  Life in Israel has historically never been easy. Life here…

No, You’re Not Failing Quarantine

By Shira Lankin Sheps | April 23, 2020

I am sick of feeling pressure to be productive in isolation. This scenario that we have been living in for…

What I Understand Now

By Rayla Rappaport | April 13, 2020

Dear Abba, This past Shabbat marked 4 years since you left this world. I remember that day so well. Sometimes…

Why This Seder Will Be Different

By Rena Bannett | April 7, 2020

So what is different about this Seder night than any other? This year that remains to be seen. This will…

Mini-Layers Profile: #coronastories #pesach #LauraBenDavid

By Laura Ben-David | April 7, 2020

(1/2) “We were really lucky. My son had returned from a trip abroad with buddies and they were able to…

Mini-Layers Profile: #coronastories #pesach #tovabukingolts

By Tova Bukingolts | April 7, 2020

(1/2) “For the last 4 years, we have been going to NY for Pesach to visit my parents, brother (who…

Tomorrow Is A New Day

By Matana Poupko Jacobs | April 1, 2020

Tonight I decided: To say goodbye to sadness, To thank it for coming in to hold space for my pain,…

Still Here, Still Singing

By Emma | March 24, 2020

It’s the Shabbos before my wedding. Friday night. I’m sitting on the porch next to a pair of shoes that…

The Legacy of The Bat Mitzvah

By Shira Lankin Sheps | November 18, 2019

This essay is brought to The Layers Project Magazine through a partnership with Matan. I have been thinking a lot…

Breaking and Rebuilding

By Shira Lankin Sheps | October 27, 2019

Written by Shira Lankin Sheps & Rachel Hercman One year ago, on October 27, 2018, The Tree of Life synagogue…

Dr. Yael Ziegler, Matan, Jewish Education, Torah Learning, Women's Scholarship, Tanach

Torah Learning At Any Stage

By Shira Lankin Sheps | October 6, 2019

This essay is brought to The Layers Project Magazine through a partnership with Matan- The Sadie Rennert Women’s Institute for…