Skip to content

Community

The Failings of Solely Focusing on Beauty

By Shira Lankin Sheps | March 20, 2019

As women, we know that we need to take care of ourselves. We should eat nutritious food, dress in a…

Filtering Reality: Instagram and the Megillah

By Shira Lankin Sheps | March 17, 2019

“I think often about the millions of Instagram accounts where their entire personal brand revolves around snapshots of pretty moments.…

The Drumbeats of Fear

By Shira Lankin Sheps | February 28, 2019

You’ve seen the video of the bride in Bnei Brak drumming at her wedding. You’ve heard that the Badatz went…

The Challenge of “One Size Fits All” in Dating

By Micki Lavin-Pell | February 27, 2019

The importance of creating a good Jewish home has been drilled into most members of the Orthodox Jewish community from…

Layers Platform Feedback: Top Ten Things A Shadchan Should Know

By Shira Lankin Sheps | February 26, 2019

Many people in our Jewish communities date and find their spouses through the mechanism of “Shidduch Dating.” What that means,…

Dating: Let Us Trust Ourselves

By Sara Kupfer | February 24, 2019

I was on my way home from work last week when my friend Ayala called. “I need to vent. I…

My Mother’s Kaddish

By Ilene Kupferman | December 31, 2018

.יִתְגַּדַּל וְיִתְקַדַּשׁ שְׁמֵהּ רַבָּא Waking in the dark beneath the heavy cloak of dawnֿ I wait for the soothing rhythm…

“Overweight” and Loving Myself

By Yehudit Jessica Singer | December 17, 2018

I have been overweight my whole life. For as long as I remember, I’ve been “the fat girl.” It’s so…

Nikki’s Story: Humans of Judaism

By Shira Lankin Sheps | December 4, 2018

(1/6) “Grief”  “Around this time of year, in November of 2013, just before Thanksgiving, my father passed away suddenly. I…

Leah’s Story: Unconditional Personhood

By Shira Lankin Sheps | November 14, 2018

(1/6) “Agency” “My mother grew up without a lot of agency, with little say in what happened to her in…

A Jew Is A Jew: Lessons From Anti-Semitism

By Shira Lankin Sheps | October 28, 2018

When I turned on my phone after Shabbat here in Israel, a nightmare scenario unfolded on my newsfeed. During a…

Ilui Neshama: Elevation of the Soul

By Ariele Mortkowitz | September 17, 2018

On Rosh Hashanah, I saw holiness in the sanctuary. It was a most beautiful moment in its rawness, its honesty,…

Scroll To Top