Community

Lost and Found: Creating Community Around Infertility and Pregnancy Loss

By Aimee Baron | March 21, 2018

Not long ago, I was sitting at a coffee house, nursing my latte, as I waited for a client.  A…

Is the Jewish Community Ready to Confront its Cancer Risk?

By Chani Wiesman | February 20, 2018

When her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, Sarah was too young to understand. Now, at age 32, she’s already…

Put to the Test: Why We Need to Talk About BRCA Genes

By Rachel Hercman | February 7, 2018

If there was a bingo board listing sensitive issues in the Jewish community today, the conversation about BRCA mutations would…

Mila’s Story: You Can Never Erase Them

By Shira Lankin Sheps | February 4, 2018

Introduction When our team at The Layers Project Magazine decided to feature a Holocaust survivor in a special edition profile,…

Re-Learning How To Make Shabbat

By Eliana Sohn | January 31, 2018

For the first half of my life, Shabbat was made for me. I was born shomer Shabbat, or Sabbath observant,…

Thou Shalt Not Objectify and Censor Women In Jewish Media Spaces

By Shira Lankin Sheps | December 31, 2017

The Layers Project Magazine responds to this disturbing trend, and explains why the statement put out by our rabbinic leadership…

Finding #MeToo In the Chanukah Candles

By Shira Lankin Sheps | December 17, 2017

She didn’t speak up to start a war. She didn’t speak up to sow doubt, or inflict pain, or ‘ruin…

The Incredible Disappearing Act — And How We Fight Back

By Neta Chizhik | December 13, 2017

The media outlets that claim to represent us are erasing us. I think it’s time we respond. Orthodox women seem…

Shira’s Story: The Birth of The Layers Project

By Shira Lankin Sheps | December 5, 2017

Photographed by Sara J Dsign (1/6) “It’s hard to believe it’s only been two years. Sometimes it seems like those…

Yael’s Story: The Modern Rebbetzin

By Shira Lankin Sheps | November 13, 2017

The Beis Community is a pretty wonderful place. In some ways, we’re a traditional Orthodox shul; each week, we do…

Avital’s Story: The Writer, The Rebbetzin

By Shira Lankin Sheps | October 30, 2017

(1/7) “I don’t know if I thought very deeply about the communal responsibilities that often come with being a…

Daniella’s Story: Single and Self Actualized

By Shira Lankin Sheps | August 21, 2017

When Daniella first reached out to me, I knew right away that I wanted to tell her story. She was…