Community

Infertility Awareness Shabbat: Creating a Legacy to Ensure A Feeling of Inclusion by Those Who Have Not Yet Completed Their Families

By Elie Salomon | May 3, 2018

I’m not a big crier, I like to have a tough exterior and save my tears for private conversations between…

A Legacy of Words

By Jennifer Fenster | May 1, 2018

On April 22, 2010, I defined myself primarily as a mother of four young children and a wife of a…

A Clear Need for Jewish Education

By Rona Novick | April 26, 2018

As a clinical child psychologist, whether working in my office or visiting schools, I saw that schools could be scary,…

I Highlight

By Adina Kastner | April 25, 2018

While I pursued my Master’s Degree in Teaching of English, I student-taught at a public middle school. As part of…

Elizabeth’s Story: Creating a Space for Jewish Girls

By Shira Lankin Sheps | April 23, 2018

This profile was brought to The Layers Project Magazine through a partnership with The Jewish Education Project.  (1/5 ) “A…

The Legacy of Being Safe-Enough

By Gavi Lankin | April 22, 2018

I am five years old and hiding with all of my loved ones in the basement of our childhood home.…

Abby’s Story: A Passion for Inclusion

By Shira Lankin Sheps | April 15, 2018

This Profile is brought to The Layers Project Magazine in partnership with The Jewish Education Project.  (1/5) “Home for All”…

Tziri’s Story: Finding My Own Voice

By Shira Lankin Sheps | April 2, 2018

This Profile is brought to The Layers Project Magazine in partnership with The Jewish Education Project. (1/6) ” I Got…

Lost and Found: Creating Community Around Infertility and Pregnancy Loss

By Aimee Baron | March 21, 2018

Not long ago, I was sitting at a coffee house, nursing my latte, as I waited for a client.  A…

Is the Jewish Community Ready to Confront its Cancer Risk?

By Chani Wiesman | February 20, 2018

When her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, Sarah was too young to understand. Now, at age 32, she’s already…

Put to the Test: Why We Need to Talk About BRCA Genes

By Rachel Hercman | February 7, 2018

If there was a bingo board listing sensitive issues in the Jewish community today, the conversation about BRCA mutations would…

Mila’s Story: You Can Never Erase Them

By Shira Lankin Sheps | February 4, 2018

Introduction When our team at The Layers Project Magazine decided to feature a Holocaust survivor in a special edition profile,…