Writing & Publishing Your Personal Essay Workshop FAQ's
- The goal is to teach you the in's and out's of how to write personal narrative, in essay format. We will review what to consider when you are looking to publish your story online, the tools that you will need to share your story with your community, and how to ride the wave of feedback when talking about challenging topics.
- This online- workshop will consist of a six-week commitment. There are no make-ups or replacement sessions. Sessions will not be recorded to preserve the privacy of our participants. All classes will be held on Zoom.
- Five 90 min sessions once a week, and one 1:1 session with Shira during the last week, to review your writings.
- The workshop has been structured to nurture several pieces of writing. You will submit them for group reading and supportive comments to be discussed when we meet.
- Each session will consist of a presentation from Shira Lankin Sheps, MSW, and a supportive discussion about each member's writing. Like Layers online, we will be creating a supportive and safe space.
- Each group will have no less than three members and no more than six, to ensure that each person can receive the individual attention required to develop their writing.
- We will be addressing stigmatized topics and often there may be a sharing of trauma- please be mindful before signing up for this workshop.
- Everything that is shared within the workshop by the participants is confidential and must not be disclosed outside the workshop.
- In advance of each week's session, there will be writing exercises to further expand upon the ideas we have discussed in the previous workshop.
- Participation in the workshop does not guarantee publication on The Layers Project Magazine but the essays written are eligible for submission.
- Tuition must be paid in full before the workshop begins to ensure participation and to save your spot.
Looking forward to talking to you more about your goals of writing & publishing your story.
Writing & Publishing Your Personal Essay Workshop Session Breakdown
Session 1: The Transformational Power of Reclaiming Personal Narrative
Session 2: Unpacking the Personal Essay
Session 3: How to Write about Struggle- The Clinical Component
Session 4: The Format of a Compelling Personal Essay
Session 5: Addressing Feedback from Readers
Session 6: Personal 1:1 Consultation Session
Fall Session dates
Tuesdays, 1:00-2:30pm EST | 8:00-9:30pm IST
Workshops Dates: October 25th, November 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd
1:1 Sessions week of November 29th 2022
HOW TO APPLY?
- Please fill out the form below so that we can learn more about your interests and availability.
- Please review the writing assignments to submit.
- Email Shiralsheps@thelayersprojectmagazine.com and put "Workshop Application" in the subject line. Send it in the body of the email- no attachments.
- After the receipt of your application, you will have a 15 min Zoom interview with Shira to discuss your submission and your goals for the workshop.
Admission is contingent on timing, scheduling, and application review. Please allow 1 month's time for response.
Really looking forward to connecting with you!